Skip to main content

Take This Cup

 “Father, if you are willing, please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine.”

In preparation for Easter, this verse looms around in my head. Also in this season of so many unknowns, this verse aches in my heart. 

We found out I was pregnant a few weeks before Christmas after trying to get pregnant for 11.999 months (as Ike says.) We told family and close friends on Christmas and in the weeks after. Then at 11 weeks, during an ultrasound, we learned the baby had fluid on the back of his head/neck, called a cystic hygroma. This could mean a million different things - will it go away in the months following or will we have a child with a severe disability or will he reach full term? We did genetic testing. We waited. Two agonizing weeks of waiting to hear results. Which came back normal. And a BOY! One excitement among the muddied trench of unknowns in this journey. 

I almost hesitate to call it a "journey." That term has connotations of long suffering and in the world of baby making a "journey" normally means nothing went as usual and I just hate that. Our experience has been doctors appointments, dreaded doctors appointments, waiting in the exam room knowing something wasn't right but not knowing what it was yet, phone calls to get appointments and referrals worked out, the awkward moment over the phone when the nurse changes her tone once she opens my chart, hearing the health professional say one thing but then my medical friends and family question it (and back it up with research.) 

We have gone to one appointment at UVA with Maternal Fetal Medicine and with Pediatric Cardiology but we left with fewer answers than we entered with. We go back again in 4 more weeks. 

And all of that weighty unknown in the tension with hope. Holding in both hands the desire for a perfectly healthy normal pregnancy and yet being grateful for the gift the Lord has given us no matter the details or dashed expectations. The line "your will to be done, not mine" feels like a stab in the hand that reaches out for answers but does so in hope knowing that He is good and that He is in fact interceding for us (Romans 8:34). 

The feeling of acceptance in the pain yet hopeful he will take this cup away. Not because we don't want a child with a disability - we will love any child God places in our family. But because as a parent, you want your child to be healthy, to not be limited physically or mentally, and you'd do frankly whatever is needed to orchestrate that healing. 

So we sit in the in between space - the tension of asking for this cup to pass but also asking for his will to be done. Trusting, hoping, and (trying to be) grateful in the waiting. 

Also - no we don't have a name and even if we did, we won't tell anyone until he is born. Waiting is hard isn't it? :) 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 3 - Remembering

There is no right or wrong way to remember the baby or child you no longer get to hold or spoil or soothe or snuggle. There is no right or wrong way to grieve either.  The best advice I was given was “everything is optional except breathing.” That amount of freedom I have needed to remember - if that means I can’t go to a baby shower, I have the freedom to not go. Or to step out of church during an infant baptism, I have the freedom to do that. A wonderful podcast called The Joyful Mourning talks about milestones (#125 I think) and celebrating them (or not) - go give it a listen if you desire.  Tonight we chose to celebrate the week of Jacks birth with a date night. A bunch of friend gifted us a generous gift card to a local restaurant last year on Jacks first birthday so we used that finally and celebrated Jack.  Milestones are weird for me. Some parts of Jack’s story I am so proud of and others make me cringe that we (him and us) had to experience that. I am realizing t...

Day 16 - Surgery day #2

I have already shared that Jack had heart surgery on his fifth day of life, then was unable to come off of ECMO (heart and lung machine) a few days later, then palliative care was offered to us. In the days that followed that we were mostly just waiting. Waiting to see what the doctors were going to decide and do, waiting for Jack’s heart to show any signs of improvement that could mean he would tolerate coming off ECMO. At this point he was still fluid overloaded and making plenty of urine so he was losing fluid everyday, looking more and more like a baby and less like a sumo wrestler.   The surgeons didn’t really have an answer as to why his heart couldn’t pump on its own. They never said the words “we should have done the other surgery” because all of the measurements of his heart told them they should not have done the full blown HLHS surgery. But essentially that’s what we assume should have been done. They discussed Jack’s case in grand rounds at length. They decided to take ...

Day 18 - prayer

 A few housekeeping things - I often write in the evenings and I think I ramble on sometimes from tiredness and poor focus. Second, I want to tell a cohesive story about Jack’s life but I tend to intertwine it with our current everyday life. Sorry if that means it comes out in choppy or scattered story telling.  I have struggled to feel encouraged by the Lord lately to be frank. I’m busy with work and school and a toddler and husband and social life - all blessings. But things that take up my time and leave little to sit with Jesus and ask him to work in my heart.  I was deeply encouraged by the sermon on a short and simple passage in Romans (15:30-33) at church today. Paul is preparing to take a gift to a Jewish church that was given by a gentile church. He’s asking for prayer that the gift would be received well, that it would build bridges, that it would bring the Jewish people to Jesus’s word. And then he asks for prayer that he would safely reach Rome with joy and be...