Skip to main content

3 Days of Safari at Murchison Falls

Safari at Murchison Falls in January 
In January we visited Murchison falls national park for safari with Ike’s parents. It was quite a hike - a full 9 hour day in the car on marum roads plus a stop to visit dear friends in Hoima along the way. When we pulled up to the ferry boarding area and saw the Nile River rushing by, it made it all worth it. 




We stayed near the ferry which made for an easy drive to the lodge and a quick minute to change and make it to an outside dinner with muchomo (grilled/bbq meats) and a dessert table bigger than our entire kitchen in Bundi. 




We did a morning game drive and a night game drive both with a UWA guide who was AMAZING, named Sarah. Seriously a real gem. A beautiful thing about Ugandans is their intuitiveness - they notice the details, check in on your wellbeing and generally want to be great hosts. Many times I heard Sarah asking Ike’s mom “are you ok mommy?” And she genuinely wanted to know if she was ok after spending hours sitting in the same spot in the car gawking at big cats, elephants and giraffes. 







 


On BOTH the morning drive and night drive we saw lions eating their kill - Ugandan Kob. So primal (duh of course) and so interesting to watch. We were so close on the night drive that multiple times I saw one of the younger male lions look up at our guide Sarah on the roof of the car as if she was the next prey. 


Another must is the boat ride to the bottom of the falls - a guaranteed time to see animals coming to the water to drink in the afternoon. Hippos galore, elephants spraying themselves, crocs hiding in the shade along the shore line, so many birds. Worth it. And the breeze and cold drinks are nice too. 







Sadly there is rumor of Murchison park closing due to future plans for oil drilling. Below is the new bridge built to cross the Nile and truck our oil. This is heartbreaking for multiple reasons - where will the animals go if the park changes for drilling? Will they be protected? Will they have food? What happens to people who survive economically from the Safari business? And the bigger question - is it worth ruining the biggest national park in Uganda for oil drilling? Of course if I was the one profiting from that choice I would think harder about that answer but currently it’s an easy one. 

Ok and the last gem of the trip was seeing Rhinos at the Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary on our way to Kampala to see the only rhinos in Uganda!  



This was a trip of a lifetime and was so fun and special to do it with Ike’s parents! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 3 - Remembering

There is no right or wrong way to remember the baby or child you no longer get to hold or spoil or soothe or snuggle. There is no right or wrong way to grieve either.  The best advice I was given was “everything is optional except breathing.” That amount of freedom I have needed to remember - if that means I can’t go to a baby shower, I have the freedom to not go. Or to step out of church during an infant baptism, I have the freedom to do that. A wonderful podcast called The Joyful Mourning talks about milestones (#125 I think) and celebrating them (or not) - go give it a listen if you desire.  Tonight we chose to celebrate the week of Jacks birth with a date night. A bunch of friend gifted us a generous gift card to a local restaurant last year on Jacks first birthday so we used that finally and celebrated Jack.  Milestones are weird for me. Some parts of Jack’s story I am so proud of and others make me cringe that we (him and us) had to experience that. I am realizing t...

Day 16 - Surgery day #2

I have already shared that Jack had heart surgery on his fifth day of life, then was unable to come off of ECMO (heart and lung machine) a few days later, then palliative care was offered to us. In the days that followed that we were mostly just waiting. Waiting to see what the doctors were going to decide and do, waiting for Jack’s heart to show any signs of improvement that could mean he would tolerate coming off ECMO. At this point he was still fluid overloaded and making plenty of urine so he was losing fluid everyday, looking more and more like a baby and less like a sumo wrestler.   The surgeons didn’t really have an answer as to why his heart couldn’t pump on its own. They never said the words “we should have done the other surgery” because all of the measurements of his heart told them they should not have done the full blown HLHS surgery. But essentially that’s what we assume should have been done. They discussed Jack’s case in grand rounds at length. They decided to take ...

Day 18 - prayer

 A few housekeeping things - I often write in the evenings and I think I ramble on sometimes from tiredness and poor focus. Second, I want to tell a cohesive story about Jack’s life but I tend to intertwine it with our current everyday life. Sorry if that means it comes out in choppy or scattered story telling.  I have struggled to feel encouraged by the Lord lately to be frank. I’m busy with work and school and a toddler and husband and social life - all blessings. But things that take up my time and leave little to sit with Jesus and ask him to work in my heart.  I was deeply encouraged by the sermon on a short and simple passage in Romans (15:30-33) at church today. Paul is preparing to take a gift to a Jewish church that was given by a gentile church. He’s asking for prayer that the gift would be received well, that it would build bridges, that it would bring the Jewish people to Jesus’s word. And then he asks for prayer that he would safely reach Rome with joy and be...